Turbo Memory

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Mon Nov 19 20:16:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 01:54:55AM -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> I was spec'ing a new laptop tonight, and noticed it had 1 GB of 'Turbo
> Memory' -- this is a new Intel specification that uses flash memory to cache
> frequently used items and is only available in Windows-land with Vista. It is
> not CPU cache nor RAM.
>
> Does anyone know of any work being done to access this new technology in
> Linux?

Unfortunately Intel only provided drivers for Vista, and no
documentation for this hardware, which is quite disappointing.

It's basically a mini pci express card that exposes some flash. If it
adds to the cost to include it, I'd opt out unless you plan on dual
booting Vista. (Vista uses it for caching frequently used programs so
you can load them faster, instead of hitting disk access bottlenecks.
iirc Microsoft calls this "ReadyBoost")

I have one in my Thinkpad, and was mucking around trying to figure out
how it works, but free time is always the enemy.

Sorry,
 Kyle