Dual layer dvd burning

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Nov 20 00:58:14 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:

>> While the drives are capable of holding 8GB of data, the filesystem is
>> *still* not capable of holding a file >= 2GB.  This is usually not a
>> problem when writing video onto these drives as the VOB filesize is <
>> 2GB anyways.  When using them to write backups of large files, games
>> must be played to get the data to fit.
>
> That explains these, none of which is less than 2 Gbytes:-)
>
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 4.3G Jul 28  2006
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/SUSE/SLES/SLES-10-x86-DVD1.iso
> -rw-r--r-- 1 4.3G Apr 12  2007
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/debian-40r0-i386-DVD-3.iso
> -rw-r--r-- 1 4.4G Sep  2  2006
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/debian-testing-s390-binary-1.iso
> -rw-r--r-- 1 4.4G Apr 12  2007
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/debian-40r0-i386-DVD-2.iso
> -rw-r--r-- 1 4.4G Sep  5  2006
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/debian-testing-s390-binary-2.iso
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 4.4G Sep 25 13:44
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/debian-40r1-i386-DVD-1.iso
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 4.4G Sep 26 06:01h
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/debian-40r1-i386-DVD-2.iso
> -rw-r--r-- 1 4.4G Apr 12  2007
> /net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/debian-40r0-i386-DVD-1.iso

Which is *NOT* what I said.  The files in a DVD filesystem cannot be
larger than 2GB (and cannot be equal to 2GB from what I can tell
either).  An ISO image is a copy of a DVD filesystem.  It, by itself,
represents an image of the DVD and can certainly be larger than 2GB.
Generating one can be an adventure, but 1)  it is possible, just not
well documented, 2)  they exist.  You show examples of them above.

How many of the files *inside* those ISO images are >= 2GB in size?

> I did burn a set of Debian disks, and I have installed from the ISO.

So have I (OK, Fedora & Knoppix disks, not Debian).

> Actually, one can burn any kind of file to DVD. Even a tarball.

Not tarballs >= 2GB.  I've had to use "split" to reduce them to
something < 2GB in size and write the individual split files into an ISO
image that can then be burned.  Which means I have to use "cat" to
re-read them back into the original large file when I want to access it.
 a real PITA.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com