evince, lyx and computer modern font issue

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:37:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

This is on Fedora 7.  I've got a LyX document, which has
all font settings default.  When I output to pdf and view in
Evince it looks (fonts are very ragged), oddly equations
are okay.  Viewing on another machine (Debian Etch) in
kpdf and acroread the document looks fine, as does
printing from that machine. If I output to dvi or postscript
on F7 the text looks okay again (so evince can draw the
.ps but not the .pdf), also using Times Roman rather than
Computer Modern seems to work okay.

The most bizarre behaviour is seen when highlighting
CM text in evince.  Once highlighted, different glyphs
appear: mainly boxes, but with generous helpings of
Arabic numerals, capital letters and a few oddities such
as @, > and so on.  Again this doesn't happen with
Times Roman.  3rd button paste works as well as it
normally does for pdfs (i.e. gets the text with the odd
formatting issue arising from the translation to plain
text).  This time I do see something similar on the
Etch machine, though there the text simply becomes
invisible when highlighted.

Has anyone else experienced this?

--
imalone