SMPT AUTH problem

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 20 21:10:11 UTC 2007

Franco wrote:

> John Summerfield ha scritto:
>> Franco wrote:
>>> Hi, i have a problem with sendmail and saslv2 authentication,
>>> i have configured sendmail to permit relay to authenticated users
>>> but with right login and password it don't authenticate.
>>> If i try testsaslauthd it work fine and test is ok but when i try
>>> to authenticate via sendmail it don't authenticate me.
>>
>> Most important, what messages are being logged?
>>
>> Be sure to turn on logging for the highest level, if you don't get
>> useful leads at first.
>>

> Ok i have passed to an high log level sendmail and the problem that
> give me is Login Failed i have also undestood where is the problem.
> On my server some users are created so user.domain and the
> authentication for this user work fine, other users created as
> user at domain don't work because sendmail see @domain as realm but
> the real user are user at domain and not just user.
> Any idea to resolve?

I have set up auth on Debian, where I run postfix, so it's not directly
comparable.

My users who don't specify a domain are check against the default domain
name which is the name postfix gives in its greeting.

The difficulty I had was discovering what domain it was using, testing
is all very well, but it's useless testing something that's not what is
being done.

--

Cheers
John