Filesystems Not Mounting

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Nov 20 22:51:29 UTC 2007

Gene Poole wrote:
> Let me clarify:
>       At boot time when all of the entries in fstab are normally mounted,
>       the duplicates in the fstab are not mounted. The duplicate entries
>       are a result of the following:

Stop! Right here put a copy of your /etc/fstab file.

>          As an example, I entered a 'ls -ltr /usr/oracle' and a single line
>          containing 0 was returned (it should have at least showed the
>          lost+found directory entry).

    Your treating /usr/oracle as a directory but I think It might be a
partition???
>          I then entered 'sudo mount -a'; and received many messages stating
>          that there are missing mount points.

    Mount -a is to mount everything in fstab. But that is done normal
during boot.

>          As an example I entered 'sudo mkdir -p /usr/oracle'
>          I then entered:  'sudo mount /dev/mapper/DBMSVG00-DBMSLV00
>          /usr/oracle' (from my fstab entry)
>          At this point is when I realized that there are now duplicate
>          entries in fstab, however, /usr/oracle is available and usable.

    I have no idea how you got here. Please which system are you talking
about and show us your /etc/fstab and your grub.conf files.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User