Wanna give me a hand debunking this?

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 00:29:01 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Another thing is misses is that RHEL releases its sources in a way
> that lets other projects (CentOS, etc.) reuse them. I don't follow
> Novell that closely, but didn't think that there were any free
> rebuilds of their enterprise versions.
Actually, I looked.  There are "sources" for SLES, but they only contain
free/open-source programs that appear in SLES, so you won't get the FULL
SLES.  More or less, you'll only get the free part of SLES.

OTOH, AFAIK, the RHEL sources can be built into a complete RHEL system.

The claim here with regard to that is that openSUSE is "functionally
equivalent" to SLES, so giving the openSUSE source is good enough.  But
openSUSE contains far more nonfree components than Fedora does (mostly
because Fedora has rules about that sort of thing).