Problem with F7 and Samba 3.0.27

Phil Wherry psw at wherry.com
Wed Nov 21 01:46:37 UTC 2007

Greetings!

I've been using Samba successfully for years, but I've run into a
problem for which I could use some expert debugging ideas.

I've got a Fedora 7 server sharing the root of its filesystem. I've
been using "force user = root" in the smb.conf file so that filesystem
permissions are never an issue (this is a single-user machine on an
isolated network, so security isn't really a concern). This worked
fine until recently.

I updated recently to Samba 3.0.27 (using the standard "yum update"
mechanism on Fedora to pick up new packages). I don't know exactly
what I was running before, but I presume it was some version of
3.0.26; I apply updates regularly. I didn't find any mention of
changed "force user" behavior in the 3.0.27 release notes.

In any case, I can still authenticate, and I can still access the
filesystem, but not with root's permissions (nor those of the user who
authenticates). I've checked logs (at both normal and elevated
debugging levels) and can't see any obvious evidence of a problem. But
clearly smbd is now having problems assuming the identity of the root
user.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I might seek to isolate the
source of this problem?

Here's the relevant section of the smb.conf file. As I mentioned
earlier, I can authenticate without difficulty; I just don't get the
right set of permissions after doing so. SELinux is off, so that's not
the cause.

[gwroot]
	browseable = yes
	writable = yes