Filesystems Not Mounting

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 21 14:44:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:16 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 19:00 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:
> >> Here is the real fstab:
> >>
> <-----------------------[ SNIP ]----------------->
> >
> > I wonder if it's an ordering issue?  To mount something onto the tree
> > at /usr/something, /usr/ has to be already mounted, beforehand.
> >
> > You have /usr/ quite a fair way down into the fstab file.  I don't know
> > whether it parses it sequentially, or goes through the whole thing
> > before mounting what's listed in it, in the order necessary to do all
> > the mounts.  I thought it did parse it sequentially, and my mtab is in
> > the same order as my fstab (mtab reflects what has been mounted).
> >
> > Try moving all the system mount points up above all your extra ones.
> >
> > Though, that doesn't account for your DATA volume group issues.
> >
> I can not find where it is specifically stated, but it is implied in
> the -a and -F options that the /etc/fstab is processed from the top
> down, and I can remember reading it somewhere. So if you try to
> mount /usr/tomcat before /usr you are going to run into problems.
> You will either have a problem of the mount point missing, or
> running into problems of mounting a file system over the mount
> point. I know you can hide an existing directory tree, but I have
> never tested what happens if you are hiding mount points. (Does it
> generate an error with mounting /usr, or does /usr/tomcat become
> inaccessible?)

I would be amazed that you could mount /usr/tomcat before /usr in the
fstab and then be able to see /usr/tomcat. I would also be interested if
you can see /usr/tomcat when you boot.
I've found my niche. If you're wondering why I'm not there, there was
this little hole in the bottom ... -- John Croll
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net