F8 and Staroffice8

Christopher A. Williams fedoralists at cawllc.com
Wed Nov 21 15:50:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 08:48 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>
> > I think the appropriate thing to do is to temporarily roll the X libs in
> > question in F8 back to the F7 versions (or their equivalents) until the
> > X and Java guys work out their own differences.
>
> closed-source sucks, eh?
>
> You're suggesting holding fedora/oss hostage to some closed-source,
> proprietary thing?  :)  ok, good luck with that.

Hardly.

I'm saying that Fedora _shouldn't_ he held hostage to an argument
between two separate groups over a closed-source thing called Java.

If you need an application that relies on Java, F8 currently holds you
hostage to being able to use those apps, be they commercial or
OpenSource. Several example apps have already been mentioned in this and
related discussions.

I don't suppose you'd feel differently about this is one of the apps you
needed was mad unusable by this problem. Naah - that wouldn't happen...

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra