F8 and Staroffice8

Christopher A. Williams fedoralists at cawllc.com
Wed Nov 21 18:54:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 10:07 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>
> > I don't suppose you'd feel differently about this is one of the apps you
> > needed was mad unusable by this problem. Naah - that wouldn't happen...
>
> Yes, I'm stung by this too, as a maple user, but I do not place blame here
> anywhere but maplesoft/sun.

OK - Fair enough.

But don't get me wrong - I'm _not_ blaming Fedora. Because of the way
they have handled the issue so far, Sun is most assuredly at the top of
my "blame list" for this one, followed by the other app vendors.

What I'm advocating is that, at least as a temporary and tactical
measure, an easy to implement, known to work, documented work-around for
these apps should be made available for F8 users who are impacted.

The apps may be crummy and poorly coded, but a totally non-functional
app is still worse than a crummy one when you really need it for
something.

It sounds like installing the corresponding F7 libraries on F8 may do
the trick. If so, we should at least add that procedure to the common /
known problems documentation.

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra