how do you force anaconda to use vesa?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 22:26:07 UTC 2007

Jack Howarth wrote:
> Jim,
>    Unfortunately, adding 'xdriver=vesa' to the kernel flags that the
> installer uses doesn't help. I still find that anaconda probes the
> Radeon X1650 Pro and then I get a black screen. The weird part is
> that I can't seem to get to a virtual console after that happens.
> I guess I'll be sitting Fedora 8 out since I don't really want to
> mess with a text-based upgrade.
>                 Jack

I am surprised that F8 seems so terrible for upgrading and is failing
more with particular hardware.
  If you are upgrading vs. a regular install, the text mode should work
fine. In an upgrade, you cannot select additional packages anyway. The
GUI is just going to show a few details.

I still have not burned the F8 installation disc that I downloaded. The
regressions are a shame.
linux xdriver=vesa
worked for F7. It must be that X thinks it can configure the display
driver correctly and is ignoring the anaconda option, or the option was
removed.

Jim

--
My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite
photoof the entire earth on it. On the back it said: "Wish you were here".