FC5 in a commercial product (was Re: Wanna give me a hand debunking this?)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 21 22:30:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:47 -0500, Eric wrote:
> We have a new client who is using FC5 in a commercial coin-operated
> entertainment machine.  Now, obviously a software failure in a machine like
> that isn't going to cause any direct injury (might cause indirect injury
> when the user gets pissed and throws a chair through the front of the unit)
> but neither will it help the company's reputation in any measurable way.
>
> I have already told them that using Fedora (any Fedora) in a commercial
> product is probably Not A Good Idea, for reasons elucidated often in this
> and other forums.  Are there any articles or white papers written by
> members of the Fedora team, or others who know far more than I ever will
> about this stuff, that I can download and show to our client?

I would think that if they've built a stand-alone unit, that works as it
is, then it won't matter whether the vendor changes things, or not.  If
you're not updating your gizmo, and it doesn't interact with other
things that might be risky (e.g. the internet), then carry on using what
already works.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.