Network issues with F8

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 06:54:18 UTC 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 5:16 PM, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having some very strange network setup issues with F8.
>
> 1) On two for two systems (one upgraded from F7 and one fresh LiceCD
> install) that I have set up so far that have static IP assignments,
> the network interface does not come up as active on boot eventhough it
> is supposed to according to the config. NetworkManager is disabled so
> it shouldn't be taking part in messing with my config, If this was
> such a wide-spread issue I would think there would be more screaming
> here on the list but maybe I am just lucky. Or maybe everyone uses
> DHCP these days.
>
> 2) Due to the interface being inactive, I was looking for an easy way
> to activate it after booting. system-control-network runs OK as root
> but just dies with the following error when run as a regular user:
> [mwiktowy at localhost ~]$ system-control-network
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/system-control-network", line 484, in <module>
>     window = mainDialog()
>   File "/usr/bin/system-control-network", line 117, in __init__
>     self.devicelist = self.getProfDeviceList()
>   File "/usr/bin/system-control-network", line 406, in getProfDeviceList
>     profilelist = getProfileList(refresh)
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/NCProfileList.py",
> line 652, in getProfileList
>     __PFList.load()
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/NCProfileList.py",
> line 75, in load
>     changed = updateNetworkScripts()
>   File "/usr/share/system-config-network/netconfpkg/NC_functions.py",
> line 940, in updateNetworkScripts
>     log.log(5, "Cannot write to %s" % (getRoot + "/"))
> TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'function' and 'str'
>
> I am wondering if the two problems are related and if anyone could
> give some pointers on where to look.
>
> /Mike
>
> --

Hi  Michael Wiktowy!

My tendency, anymore, with the huge distributions such as Fedora or
Ubuntu is to leave the install as close to the original as possible
(as it is out of the box - so to speak).  So, you might try re-doing
the Live CD install this time leaving Network manager alone but
specifying a static IP on the Ethernet interface during the install or
by using "System > Administration > Network".  In the resulting
"Network Configuration" window select your interface (probably "eth0")
and then hit the "edit" button.  In the resultant "Ethernet Device"
window see that "Activate Device when computer starts" is checked and
also the "Statically set IP addresses" button is selected with all of
the "Address", "Subnet Mask" and "Default Gateway Address" information
properly filled out. After hitting the "OK" button when the "Network
Configuration" window re-appears hit the "DNS" tab and enter the
Domain Name Service servers.

Otherwise, use of ifconfig and route in /ect/rc.d/rc.local might be a
way to configure the interface during startup.

Good Hunting!

Tod