Networkmanager and F8 problem

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Thu Nov 22 10:28:57 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I have a problem with starting NetworkManager on F8.

Hardware : Dell Latitude D600 with a Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 network adapter.

Software:    F8 with all the latest updates installed.

The network service is disabled. NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher
are enabled. Same as on F7.

SELinux is disabled so it's not the problem.

During the boot the boot messages say both NetworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher start OK.  However when I login there is no network
service and when I check I find that the NetworkManager service is not
running although the NetworkManagerDispatcher is.

If I then start NetworkManager manually with "service NetworkManager start"
everything is OK and I can connect to the wifi network.

I've even tried putting "service NetworkManager start" in rc.local but it
didn't work.

Any ideas what's stopping NetworkManager starting at boot.

Regards,

Tony