How to open a db file -- was: Need to know

Mike azmr at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 22 15:04:35 UTC 2007

With a file of unknown type and origin you get the opportunity to be a
detective.  Although I don't know of an absolutely conclusive way to
determine the origin of the file there are three things I would do in this
situation.

1) Do a Google search on the file extension (.db in this case).  Someone
else on the list apparently did that and got a long list of possibilities.

2) Open an xterm window and use the "file" command on the file.  For
example if the file name is 'data.db' simply type 'file data.db'.  The
file command will "look" at a few bytes in the file and try to recognize
what type of a file it is.

3) Use 'hexdump' on the file.  This will allow you to see the bytes in the
file and hopefully gleen some useful information.  Again open an xterm and
type: 'hexdump -C data.db | less'.  This will give you a screen full of
what usually looks like garbage.  Use the space bar to get to the next
screen or the up/down arrows to move up and down a line at a time.  The
potentially useful stuff is at the right side of the display.  With some
file types you can actually see what application created the file and/or
make some sense about what the file contains.

Hope that helps.

-- Mike