Annoying OO 'Feature': AutoNumbering

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Nov 22 13:19:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 17:30 +0000, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > Are we using the same program???
> > My 'Help->About' gives OpenOffice 2.3.0. This is the writer.

Until you said that, I didn't know.  But we are.

> > There is NO 'Tools->Autoformat menu item.
> > There is an Autoformat item under the Table heading, but it is greyed
> > out (unles I'm in a table, of course).
> >
> > And there is one under 'Format' but it does not have a pop-up,

I made a typo, but my prior advice stands "read through the
menus" (that's what they're for, and that's why they're called a menu).
That's how I found out how to use the program, long ago - seeing what my
options were, and trying them out.  Along with reading the help that
came with the program.

It was "AutoCorrect," in the tools menu, rather than auto-format.  That
pops up a window, where you have options to play with.  You can untick
the option regarding "apply numbering", and it won't auto correct
numbers into what it thinks they should be.

Yeah,well you have to have a document open for Autocorrect to
appear....which implies, I am sure, that the settings made therein will
only apply to the one document...which is NOT want I want to do,

AND the exact "feature" is hidden down a scroll-down list under Options
under Autocorrect....Now having the damn thing re-format your paragraph
when you type a number plus period as the first characters does NOT
qualify as 'Autocorrect' in my opinion...expecially as the first tab
under Autocorrect deals with mis-splet ! words....(hmmm, no autocorrect
in Thunderbird)...

So no I never got that deep in playing around. I opened every option to
at least the first level to see what was there..

Thanks for the help. Now I suppose I will have to fight with Styles to
make no auto-screwup a default state.

What a screwed up ludicrously stupid command setup.

Geoff