Fedora 8 Realtek

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Nov 23 06:42:39 UTC 2007

| From: Damian Myerscough <Damian.Myerscough at fujitsu-siemens.com>
|
| I have just installed Fedora 8 on a test machine which has a
| "RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller". The card is
| detected but will not retrieve and IP address from the DHCP server and
| when I set the IP manually all packets are lost.
|
| I tried the latest driver from Realtek
| (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#4 )
|
| Has anyone else experienced this?

I wonder if you are experiencing this:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=538448&highlight=8139

chip in a funny mode that Linux does not know how to get out of.  This
mode persists over a reboot!  The mode is cleared by a complete
power-cycle.

Complete power-cycle:
- turn off machine,
- unplug the power cord,
- turn on machine with power cord still disconnected (this drains residual power),
- plug machine in again,
- turn machine on
- boot Linux, not MS Windows.

The stock WinXP Realtek driver does not cause this problem.  Some
recent upgrade got "smart".