F8 is an excellent release!

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Nov 23 22:44:44 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:

>> > 1) Wireless support is fantastic compared to F7 with the new in-kernel
>> > drivers for iwl3945 (and 4965), as well as the old ipw2200, and
>> > removing the need to compile and install proprietary drivers. Work is
>> > still being undertaken on ath5k and rt2x00 but the latter is now
>> > working well for me with a usb adapter that uses rt73usb.
>>
>> I don't have any of these devices, but I would have thought
>> any advances were in the Linux kernel rather than the Fedora
>> distribution?
> ----
> that's not the case though because these things required some changes in
> supporting software so again, there is always the possibility of
> regression which breaks things that previously ran well.

I don't understand.
As far as I can see,
the drivers you mention are all in recent Linux kernels, eg 2.6.24-rc2.
I assume they would have been incorporated into Fedora kernels
sooner or later, with or without a new distribution.

Just to repeat myself, I am not complaining about F8,
which I installed (via USB stick) without problem,
and which works perfectly for me.
It may be a good idea to make package developers concentrate their minds
by giving a definite date for completion.

However, I don't believe there was any great reason for a new distribution
at this time.