F8 is an excellent release!

Mike C mike.cohler at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 10:45:17 UTC 2007

Arch Willingham <arch <at> tuparks.com> writes:

> I have installed it on eight machines. I had one machine do the lockup at the
26% point of the install but all
> other installs went well (four were upgraded on-line at jobsites 30 miles from
here). It seems faster that
> FC7 (noting scientific).
>
> Great release!

Indeed - and in addition as far as I am aware the depsolv bug that hit many
people trying to upgrade was a problem with trying to upgrade rather than
clean install.  There is a method I use where all the user areas and /opt are
kept on a non-root partition and before installing a new system I make a
backup copy of all the /etc /var /root files on the non-root partition.
Then I do a clean install on the root partition, and do not add users apart
from root.  Then I copy back the password data for the users and ensure that
the previous /opt and /home partitions are visible - and then edit back the
important files from /etc /var and /root and that is it - reboot and I am
on the new system after a clean install - I might write this up in detail
as a web page so others can see it if they wish to try this method - but
in general it gives a much better result than trying to upgrade. It is also
quicker in the long run.

Yes there are problems with some machines for initial install - for example
I had a Dell Inspiron 530s that would not install - it hung at ata-piix and
it turned out that the sata mode needed changing in the BIOS from IDE to
RAID and the machine has been fine with Fedora ever since and now with F8 too
it is fine.