ip masquerading

Gijs info at boer-software-en-webservices.nl
Sat Nov 24 18:22:23 UTC 2007

That is because the computers on your network do not know where the
internal box is.
A quick scenario:
192.168.1.1 wants to connect to 192.168.2.13
it looks inside its network settings, and sees that 192.168.2.13 is not
on his subnet
it checks for other routes that maybe lead to 192.168.2.13, nope, nothing
then it sends the packet to the default gateway, hoping the gateway
knows what to do with the packet

I've never really checked what happens with such a packet at the
gateway, but it will most likely drop it.
Either way, the packet get's lost.

The best way is to setup your DHCP to push a default route for
192.168.2.13 to 192.168.1.33. If you do not have a DHCP server, you will
have to set a route manually
on each client on the network. Something like this:
route add -host 192.168.2.13 gw 192.168.1.33

This will let the other clients know where the internal box is. Hope
this works.

Regards