F8: problem with dial-up

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 02:58:20 UTC 2007

--- Michael Klinosky <mpk2 at enter.net> wrote:

> OK, I installed F8 (from the Live CD) onto a machine
> that uses a dial-up
> connection. It had F7 running fine. I did a fresh
> install (didn't just
> update) to get rid of some issues with the F7
> install.
>
> But, now I can't get it to dial the modem. I believe
> that I configged it
> properly (in Admin > Network). I hit 'Activate', and
> the status reports
> 'Active'.
>
> But, clicking on the button (in the 'Modem Lights'
> does nothing. So, I
> tried the command in a terminal:
> /sbin/ifup ppp0
> no config file found for ppp0            (or
> something to that effect)
>
> Did something change in F8? Or, maybe I forgot some
> crucial step?
>
> --

Could you try to use wvdial to dialout?
Here's what you can do to see/troubleshoot your
modem/connection.

$ su -
Password:
# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
and it will scan to find your modem port.  Provided
your modem is a serial modem, wvdial.conf should find
a modem port /dev/ttyS0, ... /dev/ttyS?.  After it
finds your modem port, add your username and password,

/etc/wvdial.conf looks like this:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
; Phone =
ISDN = 0
; Username =
Init1 = ATZ
; Password =
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 460800

Then add your username/password and be set.  The
directory /etc/pppd/ controls several things that
might/might not interfere with your connection
[root at localhost ~]# cd /etc/ppp/
[root at localhost ppp]# ls
chap-secrets         ip-down          ipv6-down
peers
firewall-masq        ip-down.ipv6to4  ipv6-up
pppoe-server-options
firewall-standalone  ip-up            options
resolv.conf
ioptions             ip-up.ipv6to4    pap-secrets
[root at localhost ppp]# cat options
lock
[root at localhost ppp]#

To try and connect as super user su -
try and type wvdial in the terminal

[root at localhost ~]# wvdial

Does the modem connect/attempt to dial?

Report back and hope this helps fix your problem.

Regards,

Antonio
try your connection out.