ip masquerading

bruce bedouglas at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 25 03:30:12 UTC 2007

Hi John!!

I've forgotten something, as I thought this was working at one time, so it's
back to the basics....

to begin, i have two boxes:

  box1              -->>>     box2

 box1
  eth0 - 192.168.1.2

 box2
  ath0 - 192.168.1.5
  eth0 - 192.168.2.5

from box1, i can ping box2/ath0 as they're on the same subnet. i can't ping
box2/eth0.

from box2, i can ping box1. on box2, i can ping both nics.

how the heck do i setup box2 so box1 can ping box2/eth0??

is there a route cmd i can try on box2 that does a forward of traffic? is
this even possible? i'm pretty sure it should be possible. while i'm
focusing on just a single box to connect to box2/eth0, i want to have all
the boxes in my system eventually connect to box2/eth0, just like they do
with box2/ath0... i shouldn't have to have a route cmd on each box,
particulary as some boxes are windows, and don't have route!!

so.. what's the simple solution for this issue?

i can post my iptables/route output on box2...

thanks