Installing DVD iso

Duncan Berriman duncan at dcl.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 18:43:14 UTC 2007

I installed FC8 using http as I did not have a dvd on the system.

Here is how I did it (may be other ways as this was my first attempt).

Download the full dvd iso.

Then either burn it to a dvd and configure your web server/ftp server to
allow access to the dvd or copy the files off the dvd to your web server/dvd
server. Alternatively extract the files directly from the iso to a directory
on to your web server/ftp server.

Download the Fedora Core 8 Rescue Disk iso image from
(/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/iso) and burn this on to a CD.

Boot and Install

Boot the server where you want to install FC8 from the Rescue Disk.

When it boots choose Install or upgrade an existing system from the menu.

Select the language and keyboard type from the menu.

You can then choose to install from Local CD/DVD, Hard drive, NFS directory,
FTP or HTTP

Choose HTTP or FTP as appropriate and fill in the details.

In my case I used Http so I then input just the ip address of my web server
and the directory containing the unpacked iso image. If you are using a
service over the internet then you need to target the 'os' directory
(/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os for instance). I have not tried
this yet!

You can also use boot.iso (minimal boot) or diskboot.img (usb stick) to boot
and start the install (These can be found in
fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/images on any mirror.)

Duncan