Understanding the Xorg.0.log file

zephod at cfl.rr.com zephod at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 03:22:39 UTC 2007

I am trying to understand the data in the Xorg.0.log file to try to solve a problem I am having with my screen resolution.

I have an ATI Radeon X800 graphics card which has 3 ports on the back, one S-video and 2 DVI. The log file shows this:

(II) RADEON(0): Bios Connector table:
(II) RADEON(0): Port2: DDCType-3, DACType-1, TMDSType--1, ConnectorType-5
(II) RADEON(0): Port3: DDCType-1, DACType-1, TMDSType-0, ConnectorType-2
(II) RADEON(0): Port7: DDCType-2, DACType-0, TMDSType-1, ConnectorType-2

which kinda makes sense if the S-video connector is type 5 on port2 and the DVI connectors are type 2 on ports 3 and 7. Don't know why the other numbers are different though.

My monitor is connected to one of the DVI ports. but the next lines in the log say:

(II) RADEON(0): Output S-video using monitor section Monitor0
(II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "VGA_DDC" initialized.
(II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-1 has no monitor section
(II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "MONID" initialized.
(II) RADEON(0): TMDS PLL from BIOS: 16500 b011c
(II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 has no monitor section
(II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "DVI_DDC" initialized.
(II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "DVO" initialized.

There is only one monitor section in my xorg.conf file so why does the un-connected S-video port claim it while the connected DVI (not sure which is connected) does not?
Is there a way to edit the xorg.conf file to force the monitor section to be associated with the DVI port?

(II) RADEON(0): I2C device "DVO:RADEON DVO Controller" registered at address 0x70.
(II) RADEON(0): Port0:
 Monitor   -- AUTO
 Connector -- STV
 DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
 TMDS Type -- Unknown
 DDC Type  -- VGA_DDC
(II) RADEON(0): Port1:
 Monitor   -- AUTO
 Connector -- DVI-I
 DAC Type  -- TVDAC/ExtDAC
 TMDS Type -- Internal
 DDC Type  -- MONID
(II) RADEON(0): Port2:
 Monitor   -- AUTO
 Connector -- DVI-I
 DAC Type  -- Primary
 TMDS Type -- External
 DDC Type  -- DVI_DDC

 Which looks like the BIOS data, but expanded into readable form - except the port numbers have changed from 2,3 and 7 to 0, 1 and 2. Am I right?

I have many more questions but I'll save them before this e-mail gets too long if it isn't already.

Thanks,
Steve