The Fedora disc was not found

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:07:06 UTC 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 9:36 PM,  <peter.billam at dpiw.tas.gov.au> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from Fedora 6 to Fedora 8 on an Acer Veriton
> 5900Pro, with no success at all.
>
> So far I've tried
>   irqpoll noirqdebug ide=nodma cdnodma edd=skipmbr pci=nomsi,nommconf
>   libdata.dma=1 libdata.dma=0 noapic nolapic noacpi scsi_scan=sync
>   hwprobe=modules.pata hwprobe=-modules.pata acpi=off pci=noacpi
>   pnpacpi=off clocksource=acpi_pm nohz=off highres=off
> which I've gleaned from various google searches.
>
> As far as I can see, any noapic makes it hang running /sbin/loader.
>
> As far as I can see, irqpoll noirqdebug are vital, and nolapic is
> lethal, otherwise the install hangs loading ata_piix driver.
>
> With all other combinations I've tried (about 30 so far) I get:
>   The Fedora disc was not found in any of your CDROM drives.
>   Please insert the Fedora disc and press OK to retry.
>
> Debian, and Fedora 6, install fine on the same hardware, using just
>   irqpoll noirqdebug
>
> Are there other kernel options I should be trying ?
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Selected excerpts from lshw:
>      *-firmware
>           vendor: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>           physical id: 0
>           version: R01-B0 (03/30/2007)
>           size: 128KB
>           capacity: 960KB
>           capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot
>            bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy360 int13floppy1200
>            int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard
>            int14serial int17printer int10video acpi usb ls120boot
>            zipboot biosbootspecification
>      *-pci
>           product: 82Q963/Q965 Memory Controller Hub
>         *-ide:1
>              product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller
>              capabilities: ide bus_master cap_list emulated
>            *-cdrom UNCLAIMED
>                 product: DVD+-RW GSA-H31N
>                 vendor: HL-DT-ST
>            *-disk
>                 product: WDC WD2500JS-22M
>                 vendor: ATA
>                 logical name: /dev/sda
>         *-ide:2
>              product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller
>            *-disk
>                 product: ST380013AS
>                 vendor: ATA
>                 logical name: /dev/sdb
>
> Thanks,  Regards,  Peter
>
> AUS/TAS/DPIW/CIT/Servers hbt/lnd/l8   6233 3061   http://www.pjb.com.au
> Pasaré, pasarémos    dice el agua    y canta la verdad contra la piedra
>  -- Pablo Neruda
>
> --

Hi Peter!

>From your output above:

       *-ide:1
            product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller
            capabilities: ide bus_master cap_list emulated
          *-cdrom UNCLAIMED
               product: DVD+-RW GSA-H31N
               vendor: HL-DT-ST
           *-disk
                product: WDC WD2500JS-22M
                vendor: ATA
                logical name: /dev/sda

Please note that in the above the CD-ROM drive is "UNCLAIMED" and has
no logical name assigned such as the one given to your Disk  which is
"/dev/sda".  The following comes to mind:

1. It could be that both your disk and the CD-ROM think they are
"Master" on the single IDE bus and your bios made the decision to
ignore the CD-ROM.

2. It may be that CMOS is somehow set so that it does not properly
recognize the CD-ROM.  Please note that on older machines the CMOS
battery tends to run low and  that CMOS then becomes unreliable.  A
quick fix is to re-load the defaults.

3. It may be that Fedora no longer loads a compatible driver for your
CD-ROM.  A fast fix may be to try another CD-ROM.  Other than that
Google the HW and or see what F6 or perhaps another Live-CD uses.

Good Hunting!

Tod