Setting DPI correctly

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:53:55 UTC 2007

Hello guys,

I"m still trying to tweak my fonts system-wise. I'm right now working on
having my DPI set correctly. When I do :

xdpyinfo | grep resolution

I get:  1280x1024 pixels (382x313 millimeters)

The resolution is fine but the display dimensions are wrong. My monitor is a
Viewsonic Vp930b with a display area of: 376.3(H) x 301.1(v) (in milimiters
of course) which I got from the specs.  I'm using the nvidia driver.  Based
on the Xorg log, apparently this is the EDID info my monitor tells the
card...

I tried adding "DisplaySize 376  301" to my xorg.conf but apparently the
nvidia driver won't care about DisplaySize. When I query xdpyinfo again I
still see the old values.

 I know there are 2 nvidia options I can set to force the DPI (speciying the
dpi and disabling EDID) in the xorg.conf but I'm really worried why my
monitor is providing wrong values to the card.  However, I still would like
to make DisplaySize work...any ideas guys?

Thanks!
Jorge