FC8 Atheros wireless almost working...

fooboo no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org
Tue Nov 27 12:32:10 UTC 2007

> Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 10:33 +0100, fooboo wrote:
>
> > wlan0     IEEE 802.11a  ESSID:""  Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
> >

> Wouldn't that cause problems?  (Trying to associate the same hostname as
> is associated with 127.0.0.1 - the local loopback network adaptor.)
>
> As a first step in problem solving, I'd be trying it with a unique name.
I'm noob++ when it comes to wireless on Gnu/Linux. Never set one up before.

Using "Wireless Device Configuration" on the general tab there is a field called "Nickname" that defaulted to wlan0. Do you mean to change that?

I don't know where you change the "Nickname:"localhost.localdomain" bit, there doesn't seem to be a field for that in the configuration tabs. Is it that you mean I need to change?

> What do you mean by "the right key"?
> iwconfig seems to show encryption turned off.
I hadn't actually noticed that it's off :P
What I mean is in the field called "Key" I have put the key my hub uses.

Now that I've added the 0x at the beginning (oops) It shows an encryption key and says security mode restricted

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=222891&topic_id=48439&forum=10#forumpost222891
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster at fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame fooboo at freeuk.com.