[OT] Is Samba client not following the protocol?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 27 15:53:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 23:21 +0800, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> I have a windows machine sharing a folder. Using samba client in my FC
> machine, I see whole lot more drives than the one shared (C$, D$,
> E$,...).  IFAIK these are shared for administrative purposes. Besides
> that if certain folders are shared with "$" sign (for invisibility
> purpose), Samba client shows all these drives.
>
> Why?

Special purpose clients, e.g. like the smbclient, can do what they want.
It's the same with some of the command line tools for it on Windows.
But in the general run of things, such as directory listers, such
$-hidden things won't show up.  It's not secret information, and should
never be relied upon for that function.  It's one of those "hide this
clutter out of normal view" sort of things.

If you use Nautilus, try browsing the share through it, and you'll see
it work similarly to Windows Explorer.  At least it always has for me.

Tim...  (Still somewhat amused by a recent news story where a ship
called the MS Explorer hit an iceberg and tried its hand at doing an
impression of the Titanic.)

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.