Fedora, IDE and RAID

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 27 16:15:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 16:14:48 +0100,
  moi <rainer at lucien.sysadmin.at> wrote:
> Gary Stainburn schrieb:
> >Hi folks
> >
> >I'm just about to set up  a Fedora box with 3 320GB HDDs and I want to set
> >up software RAID. Anyone got any good pointers on links on how to do this?
> >
> >Google has usual has provided a plethora of hits, but I was wondering if
> >anyone could recomment good ones.
> >
> >Gary
> >
> If possible, try deciding on which RAID level to use beforehand.
>
> Wikipedia has an excellent explanation for those. Then implement it
> witch mdadm :)

If he is doing a fresh install, you can select custom partitioning and do
it during the install. With three drives, you will most likely want to
use raid 5 for most of your partitions. /boot should be on a raid 1 partition
mirrored accross all three drives. Depending on why you are using raid,
you might want 3 separate nonraid swap partitions, a raid 0 or a raid 5
swap partition.

If you particularly like using raid 1 (for example you split mirrors to do
testing or the like), then you can also use that buy having 3 raid 1
partitions split accross the three unique pairs of drives.