Resizing pictures

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Nov 28 18:22:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 09:50 +0000, John Austin wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 10:20 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> > Matthieu wrote:
> > >
> > >    Hello,
> > >
> > > I am looking for a software that would allow me to resize
> > > automatically a bunch of JPEG pictues, while letting me choose the
> > > compression rate and keeping the EXIF informations. Waht could provide
> > > that?
> >
> I have a crude script for "some" of this.
>
> As it stands it overwrites the originals !!!
>
> John
>
> naxos bin 816# cat image_reduce_size
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> #Reduce size of all *.jpg files in a directory
> #Parameter 50% say
> #cd correct_dir; image_reduce_size 50% *.jpg
> $size = shift @ARGV;
> print $size,"\n";
>
> while(@ARGV){
>         $file = shift @ARGV;
>         ($bfile = $file) =~ s#.*/##s;
>        print $file,"   ",$bfile,"\n";
>                 `convert -resize $size $file /tmp/$bfile`;
>                 `mv -f /tmp/$bfile $file`;
>         }
> naxos bin 817#

Of course it overwrites the input files.  Your "mv" command is doing
that explicitly.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -