Freeze / lockup when starting X with Radeon 7500 - freshly installed F8

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Nov 29 11:42:52 UTC 2007

Juergen Botz wrote:
> I just did a fresh install of F8 on a system with an old
> ATI Radeon 7500 (AGP) board, and the system freezes when
> starting X.  The xorg.conf is just the basic one that the
> install generated... it had the 'radeon' driver for device,
> but I also tried putting 'ati' with the same result.
> Putting 'vesa' as the device works fine.
>
> The freeze is a hard lockup, i.e. the system no longer
> responds to pings from the outside.
>
> Other system info:
>    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
>    MB:  Asus A7V8X (Via KT400/KT600 based)
>    RAM: 1.5GB
>
> What can I do to fix or further diagnose this?
>
> TIA, :j

What happens if you use no xorg.conf and start X? It will use internal
to the server values.

Regarding the hard lock, I had this problem with some radeon 7000 series
Graphics card many Fedora versions back. I ended up giving away the card.
You might need to use the binary version instead of the one provided by
X. Adding reference to Radeon in subject.

--
It is only people of small moral stature who have to stand on their dignity.