Adding a partition to existing LVM

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Nov 29 12:44:03 UTC 2007

On 11/29/2007 12:43 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:
>>>>
>> That may be the part I'm missing.  I was working through
>> http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Expanding_Linux_Partitions_with_LVM#Extending_LVM_partition,
>>  I used lvextend, but I'm unable to unmount and remount the volume
>> because it's mounted as /.
>>
>> The next step in the described process is to use ext2online, but that is
>> not installed on my system.  yum provides ext2online comes up empty.
>
> I think you you are looking for is:	resize2fs
>
>>From its man page:
>
>>        The  resize2fs program will resize ext2 or ext3 file systems.  It can be used to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on
>>        device.  If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel  supports  on-
>>        line resizing.  (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 only.).
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks!  Problem solved.

# resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
resize2fs 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
Filesystem at /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is mounted on /; on-line resizing
required
old desc_blocks = 10, new_desc_blocks = 14
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 to 57171968
(4k) blocks.
The filesystem on /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 is now 57171968 blocks long.

[root at sds-desk ~]# df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      212G   90G  111G  45% /

- --