Question about LVM and RAID

rainer rainer at lucien.sysadmin.at
Thu Nov 29 17:05:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

I suppose you have only made a JBOD with LVM - no further RAID0 or such.

With JBOD, at least the data on the left RAID5-set should be safe. The
data on the failed array and the bits and pieces which were on both
arrays would be lost. Fragmentation and the size of data could be an
issue - e.g. a 200 GB file on 2 x 160GB arrays would mean more than half
is lost... ;(

I think your friend meant you had made a RAID0 above the RAID5-sets,
which would indeed mean the whole thing would be lost.

Regards,
rainer