F8: C compiler cannot create executables (SOLVED)

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Fri Nov 30 00:03:29 UTC 2007

Thanks Mikkel, Tony and Markku.

I had indeed not installed all the necessary
development libraries.

However when I had downloaded all the necessary
libs the package seemed to compile OK but it still could not
complete the installation.
After some searching I discovered this was happening because
both R.i386 and R.x86_64 (and both R-devel.i386 and R-devel.x86_64)
were installed (on an F8.x86_64 machine).
Things were getting mixed up during compile/install!

I had to remove all 4 these packages and then reinstall only
R.x86_64 and R-devel.x86_64 before it would complete properly.

Why did yum install both R.86_64 and R.i386 when only the
first is needed?

Alexander