Fedora and Ubuntu

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Nov 30 15:22:48 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> I have both Ubuntu and Fedora installed. The update services are
>> different but in no way
>> is the Ubuntu system significantly better or faster.
>
> The big difference in the way it feels is that apt-get caches the
> repository info until you tell it to update it, where yum does this slow
>  step on every operation even if it was just done seconds earlier.

Is this what you are talking about?

metadata_expire
   Time (in seconds) after which the metadata will expire. So that
   if the current metadata downloaded is less than this many seconds
   old then yum will not update the metadata against the repository.
   If you find that yum is not downloading information on updates as
   often as you would like lower the value of this option.

Mikkel