during fedora boot, what picks up the initrd.img from /boot?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Nov 30 15:33:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i'm sure i'm going to regret asking this only seconds after i
> > hit ENTER, but at what point during the boot process does the
> > kernel's corresponding /boot/initrd.img file kick in and get used?
> >
> >   i'm following along reading the logic of initramfs and early
> > userspace, and can see where a compressed cpio archive can be
> > incorporated into the kernel image itself.  fair enough.
> >
> >   but how does the /boot/initrd.img (which is itself a compressed
> > cpio image) get processed during boot?  it's certainly not passed
> > as an argument to the kernel as i can see via /proc/cmdline.  so
> > how does it affect the boot sequence?  thanks.

> I believe that Grub loads the image, and then passes the location to
> the kernel at boot. Support for the file system of initrd.img has to
> be built into the kernel.

but *how* does grub pass that info?  that's the question here.  on my
f8 system, the contents of /proc/cmdline is simply:

ro root=/dev/f8/root rhgb quiet

so how exactly is the kernel notified about the location of that
external initrd.img file?  i'm guessing i might just start reading
through the early kernel code to see where it figures that out.

rday

p.s.  is my question making any sense?  maybe i'm just phrasing it
badly.

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://crashcourse.ca