Hard Drive Speed

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Nov 1 00:07:16 UTC 2007

Todd Simi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this may be a silly question since it probably a hardware limitation,
> but I'm running F7 and would like to know what I can do to increase the hard
> drive seek time, if anything.

You want to increase the seek time?

Fanky, I think you're nuts. I would rather zero seek time;-)

> I have a pretty new SATA drive at 3GB/sec and it seems to have to seek longer
> than I'd expect.

Don't imagine you are going to get anything like 3 Gbytes/sec. Possibly
your system memory isn't that quick. If you want disks that go that
fast, they're available; IBM uses them on its zSeries, but those cost
serious dosh.

> It's running with DMA4, AHCI, etc.
>
> The rest is an ASUS MB with a Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.4 Mhz & 2GB Ram @ 800Mhz.
>
> Are there any setting from the standard that by help?
>
> here's the hdparm output
>
> [root at localhost ~]# hdparm -tT /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  Timing cached reads:   8608 MB in  2.00 seconds = 4313.28 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  202 MB in  3.02 seconds =  66.79 MB/sec

I'd say that's quite good. This is on my new drive, fairly new HP mobo.
Intel chips.

[root at potoroo ~]# hdparm -t /dev/sda{,}

/dev/sda:
  Timing buffered disk reads:  206 MB in  3.02 seconds =  68.22 MB/sec

/dev/sda:
  Timing buffered disk reads:  204 MB in  3.00 seconds =  67.98 MB/sec
[root at potoroo ~]#

The limiting factor is the speed at which data comes off the surface of
the media, and that's determined by RPM, bit density and the number of
tracks read at once.

--

Cheers
John