Fedora Philosophy - (Was F8 ETA?)

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Thu Nov 1 22:27:10 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: F8 ETA?
From: John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 10/31/2007 07:38 PM

> Paul Lemmons wrote:

I think I did...

What you describe is a production *workstation* for developers. Not a
production *server*. Developers have clearly different needs that
include a more current and possibly less stable environment. I would
also say that the developer's workstation would have a short update
period so that it could stay current. My workstation fits that category.

I know I am stepping on toes here but I get a little frustrated
sometimes. There are literally dozens of distributions out there. Each
is differentiated from the other by philosophy not technology. The
technological differences are only there because of the philosophical
differences. Each distribution tries to meet some specific need. I have
some preferences based on how closely those philosophically choices
align with my goals.

The Fedora project does not pretend to be *production server* centric.
It does not even pretend to be *production server* friendly. The
personality of the Fedora project is fast paced, (b)leading edge,
leaving the past behind quickly. It is a great proving ground or test
bed for current technologies. It is fun. It will never have the
stability or extended support that a server class distribution does.

To expect differently is like expecting Microsoft to adopt the FOSS
philosophy because you want them to. I choose not to use Microsoft
because their chosen paradigm does not align with what I want. The same
applies to Gentoo and Debian. I choose Fedora because it does. I also
choose CentOS and RHES and apply each distribution to the need it is
best suited for.

If Fedora does not match what you are looking for in a distribution,
there are lots of choices out there. Choose the one that does.