livna vs. fc7 default yum setup?

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 07:04:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 12:34 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
<snip>
> Is this a good idea or just the livna site's self-promotion? I am
> tempted to think this is pretty official, since it comes from
> fedorafaq.org. But if it was a good idea, why not put it in the
> default fedora setup? Confused.

Livna can *not* be included in the default fedora setup because it
includes software that either has potential patent conflicts (mp3
support) or isn't open source (ATI/nVidia binary drivers).

If you care about patent problems or want your system to be open source
software only, don't install Livna.  If you don't care and you want mp3
support or binary drivers, go ahead and install it.

Jonathan