How to pass audio via HDMI (Fedora 7)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Nov 4 17:17:03 UTC 2007

Andrew Junev wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was going to use HDMI to transfer sound as well as video to my SONY
> LCD TV. The problem is that I don't really know how to do it.
>
> My video adapter (ASUS EN8600GT/HTDI) has an SPDIF-in connector to
> pass the audio stream through HDMI interface. I connected my
> motherboard's SPDIF-out to this one.
> Then I un-muted 'IEC958' as described here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF
>
> But all my attempts to play any audio file gave me no sound. Is there
> anything else I need to do?
>
> My TV accepts "Two channel linear PCM; 32, 44.1 and 48 kHz; 16, 20 and
> 24 bits" audio over HDMI input.
>
> When I'm trying to play back a file via mplayer it says the audio
> stream is 2-channel, 48000Hz PCM. So it should be fine... But I still
> get no sound.
>
> What else could be wrong?
>
> My motherboard has one internal and one external S/PDIF output. I
> don't think there is a difference between them, but the internal one
> is connected to the video card. I read the manual but it said nothing
> about configuration of the S/PDIF in terms of which one to use. So I
> assume both outputs should work at the same time... But I might be
> wrong here.
>
> I would appreciate any help!

I only know a little about using the spdif output, so all I can
offer are some general troubleshooting tips.

Dumb question time:
 Are you sure both jacks are outputs?
 Did you check the slider level for the IEC958?
 Did you check to see if there is more then one IEC958 entry?
 Did you try configuring mplayer to use the spdif output?

You may want to post the output of "aplay -L" and "aplay -l". You
may also want to try using aplay from the command line to play a
sound file. A .wav file is a good choice. (aplay does not play
mp3s.) From the web site: (with slight modification.)

aplay -D ALSA:spdif something.wav

Mikkel