Two FC7 questions

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 5 00:14:04 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I was just out on a 3000 mile run (my oldest daughter is dying of cancer,
> maybe a week left), taking my HP DV5120us lappy with me, which has a bcm4318
> radio in it.
>
> Partway through the trip, while hooked to a cat5 cable I ran yumex and let it
> update the box, which included the kernels, latest is now a 2.6.23-1 variant,
> but it removed the kernels that I had been running ndiswrapper with
> flawlessly.

It should not remove the running kernel! I am guessing that you
booted a kernel that was not using ndiswrapper when doing the
update. I have also run into problems sometime when an add-on module
that is tied to the kernel version installs as an upgrade and
deletes the version(s) for the older kernels. In that case, you can
lose the module for the running kernel. This is a packager problem.
On the other hand, it can be hard to upgrade an installed module for
the same kernel because the new one has files conflicting with the
old one.

> 2. Running roadnav while on the road, the screen blanker drove me nuts, and
> this is something that I tried to turn off but found I had to park the mouse
> where it got constantly jiggled in order to keep it alive more than 10
> minutes, all this while running on a lighter plugin supply which makes it
> think its on AC power.
>
> Having to lean over the console in my truck to where the lappy was sitting in
> the shotgun seat to find and tap the spacebar was both an irritation, and
> multiplied the in-advertant lane wobbles that cause accidents by at least an
> order.  At the ripe old age of 73, I don't need that a bit.
>
> So whats the cure for the blanker caused blue smoke from my ears?

One thing that may work is to run something like "xset dpms off" in
an xterm. As long as nothing else overrides it, your screen will not
blank. I am assuming that you already have the screen saver turned off.

We can not have you weaving all over the road! It is bad enough that
you are looking over at the laptop when driving. (I find that a
small 12V monitor like they use for backup cameras mounted where you
can glance at it without taking your eyes off the road work well. I
thought about the review mirror replacement displays, but the sun
visor ones would be easier to read. What I really want is a heads-up
display for the motor home.

Mikkel