samba & selinux

McGuffey, David C. DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com
Mon Nov 5 11:53:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 12:04:22 -0500
"ethericalzen at gmail.com" <ethericalzen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:40:22 -0400
> "McGuffey, David C." <DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com> took out a #2
> pencil and scribbled:
>
> > I don't want to remove or back away from selinux in enforcing
> > mode.  I have customers who want to build applications on top of
> > selinux, so the task at hand is to get smart and make things work
> > with selinux.
> >

> Isn't it possible (I don't know that this would work for you) to
> turn off that particular policy? I run selinux in enforcing mode
> and haven't fallen into this particular problem as my setup is
> obviously different. Would it be poor advice to try and disable the
> selinux policy for this particular instance? Or is the situation of
> a sort that it wouldn't matter and selinux would freak out anyway?

I took the easy way out, copied the WinXP data to another location,
converted the ntfs formatted /dev/sdb2 partition to ext3, remounted it,
and copied the WinXP data back to it.  Took the time to reorganize some
of the data. Created the new shares in samba, and all seems to be
working now. Each user can connect to their share, but not the share of
the other users.

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM
SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD