Compatible Winmodems?

taharka disisdadrum at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 17:16:14 UTC 2007

How do,

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 08:50 -0500, Brian wrote:
> Adalbert Prokop wrote:
> > Brian wrote on Sunday 04 November 2007:
> >
> >> I'd like a cheap internal modem to be used for inbound and outbound
> >> faxing. (<$15) I suspect my only route is a Winmodem for that price.
> >
> > Well, I know it was not your question, but consider buying a "real" modem
> > (internal or external). That saves you LOTS of trouble compiling the
> > kernel module for every new kernel and problems as abandoned code which
> > does not compile with a new kernel version.
>
> I didn't think of the extra effort and trouble associated. Thanks for
> pointing it out. I think I'll shop eBay for a real modem and hope I can
> find one on the cheap.

Another suggestion, for inbound/outbound faxing, look for a used "hp psc
xxxx all-in-one series". I recently picked-up a 2210, at a yard sale for
$2.00. The USB port was pushed in & the pins were snapped off. Took me
~1/2 hr. to replace the USB port with a soldering iron/soldaput.
Excellent unit with outstanding Linux support.

> Thanks again,
> -Brian

taharka

Apple Valley, Minnesota U.S.A.