error, missing dependency, and it's the kernel

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Nov 6 22:46:30 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering about something in general:  From time to time I get a
> yum error about trying to update something like an nvidia kernel module
> not being possible because there's no kernel available to go along with
> that version.
>
> Trying several different mirrors doesn't help, and I can't be bothered
> to go trying them all out.  I'll just wait a few days for things to
> settle.
>
> But how have they compiled their module for a kernel that isn't
> available?  Surely that's a bit chicken and eggish?  Wouldn't they be
> compiling against a customised Fedora kernel, rather than one from
> somewhere else?  And, if so, why don't we have the same one available to
> us?

    I got that Nvidia update that failed when it could not find the
needed kernel. I was not worried because I have switched to the Nvidia
bash file which makes a kernel module when needed. It IS very slick. So
I just watch for kernel updates and if one breaks Nvidia I will make it
a module.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User