Wise disk parting.

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Wed Nov 7 17:29:37 UTC 2007

Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA) wrote:

> [...]

hibernation didn't figure into it... not to many *nix laptops when I
started (i.e. none).  We also didn't have the huge graphic based
programs of today.  My swap sizing is most likely dated and should
probably be scrapped in favor of a new rule of thumb.

I can certainly see your point, I hadn't really considered the need for
hibernation ...I don't use hibernate or other such functions on the few
laptops I do use... besides, almost all of my *nix boxes are servers.
With enough RAM you rarely touch swap (or so my experience has gone).
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
email: mailto:steve at marmot.org
voice: +1.970.242.3331 ext 16
   fax: +1.970.245.7854