yum: How to downgrade openoffice 2.3 to 2.2.1?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 7 17:53:22 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I haven't really exercised it (2.3.0) all that much but what I've done was
>> done exactly as I expected.  Eg, it Just Worked(TM).
>>
>> To Rahul:  Are there concerns re patents that make RH pull stuff out of
>> OOo?
>
>There was a mix of stuff. Some Java portions used to not work well with
>GCJ. There was concern over patents in other features. Sun has a patent
>cross licensing agreement with Microsoft that makes them immune to these
>problems so it might be that they wouldn't care but if affects everybody
>else including end users who don't use Staroffice (which gets some kind
>of patent license as a commercial product).
>
>Rahul

In defense of that, it might be enlightening to take a survey and see how many
folks try to use the java tools fedora supplies vs folks that dl and install
their java directly from sun. I'm in the probably 95% column that did that.
And it Just Works(TM).

That's not saying you (speaking as RH) are wrong, but that is how many will
perceive it, they somehow expecting RH to shoulder the legal liability for
that and which is not at all realistic to ask.  It appears to us that it is
perfectly legal for us to do so however, so we don't always accept that
condescension quietly.

The only place where I have a personal distaste is that when we do that, then
RH/Fedora seems to want to say that we are the sinners in this nearly
religious perfect adherence to the GPL.  As users, we just want it to work,
and TBT it does.

Can you imagine the hoorah that would be created if sun (or M$ for that
matter) were to go after each of us JRE downloaders individually?  I suspect
that would ultimately cause the demise of 'the big bad wolf' regardless of
the security pass on the left breast pocket's issuer, and they damned well
know it.  I'd think it would also be laughed out of court as entrapment
because its freely offered for download, fully customized to run on linux.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)