alfresco installation?

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Wed Nov 7 20:07:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 14:30 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> anyone out there installed alfresco?  i just gave it a shot and the
> installation procedure definitely has some ambiguities, like when it
> asks you if you already have openoffice installed and, if so, what
> directory it's in.  what directory?  it's not *in* a single directory,
> what does that question even mean?
>
>   anyway, pointers to the recipe for fedora installation would do just
> fine.  thanks.

	I have previously installed it using the .war file and the existing
tomcat that comes with F7.  I only replaced the gcj with Sun's java.
	I also had to change a couple of paths in the webapps/alfresco
directory so that it would write files to the proper place and also be
consistent with the Fedora directory standards.  If I recall, I changed
a line regarding the log4j path and also changed the path for the
repository files.  I can lookup those changes if you have trouble
locating them.
	As far as OpenOffice goes, it needs a startup script to launch in
headless mode at system boot.  If it is running, alfresco will detect
it.  I'm not sure what (if any) repercussions this has on a system
running in full SELinux mode.  It might be dangerous to have a process
able to read and write files anywhere on the system.  It must run as a
user with similar permissions to the tomcat user, but with even more
restrictions.
	It would be nice if there was a rpm package for Alfresco.  I might try
my hand at making one once F8 is released with OpenJDK.  I've never
tried making a Java rpm before, so I am not sure how successful I will
be.
	Alfresco is a fantastic product that should be easily installable on
Fedora.  I can't wait to see what else they have planned for the program
over the next few years.
	RedHat should buy these guys.  It would be a powerful combo to have a
RHEL install come with JBoss and Alfresco.

				...Jeff