Fedora 8

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 8 01:10:50 UTC 2007

zotkop wrote:
> Only 4 hours left till the release of Fedora 8.
> Am I right?
> Could be that I had some miscalculations (I'm @ gmt +1)
>
> With love from Belgium,
>
> The impatient
    Well I installed F8 and the trouble started. It booted fine but as
usual the Nvidia was all bad. I had to write the proper things in
/etc/X11/file that got the pointer working. Then I had to mount my F7 to
F8 and copy the Nvidia bash file to F8 and on the 8th reboot F8 came up
fine with the proper image size ect.

But then the worst possible grub bug showed up! I tried to boot to F7
but it was impossible :-(

    After a few tests I discovered that the F7 boot partition was
(hd0,5) and the F8 boot partition was (hd0,5). I tried to get F7 booted
but no luck. I finally unplugged the god dam SATA hard drive, re-did the
grub thing from the rescue CD and here I am back on F7 :-)

    The Grub problem is because both boot partitions are partition 6. I
will fix this tomorrow.

    There will be a bug written on the poor ability of F8 to work on a
computer with Nvidia VGA system even though anaconda found the proper
VGA and called it Nvidia.

    So for timing interest I bootup on the install DVD at 0120 MST and
then began to install the 1103 packages at 0140 and it was ready to
reboot at 0202 MSt. I got F7 back up at 1800 MST.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User