VMware install on F7

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Thu Nov 8 14:47:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 09:40 -0500, McGuffey, David C. wrote:
> I solved my samba and selinux problem (dealing with an old ntfs
> partition), now I'm moving on to the second stage of converting a
> machine to linux...getting an instance of WinXP or Vista running in
> VMware on F7.
>
> Did all the RTFM stuff.  Downloaded an evaluation copy of VMware and the
> "any-any" patch from
> http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update114.tar.gz
> Installed the development libraries and tools.
>
> During the install VMware complains that the kernel doesn't have the
> right modules. So it wants to compile them.  No problem, since I had
> rtfm, I was ready...almost.  :(
>
> It is asking for the location of the linux source. The source
> directories in /usr/src/redhat are empty.  When I started this
> conversion from XP to linux, I had downloaded the F7 DVD and installed
> the desktop/office option...later adding the development libraries and
> tools.  It has been a long time since I had to muck with a kernel build.
> Is the source on that DVD? If so, where is it and how do I get it into
> the right location so that I can finish this VMware install?
>
> Is the "Get the Source" guidance at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel#head-e8ad3159461876ddaff
> 51c82994e2f9369512a28 my answer for F7?
>
> Dave McGuffey
> Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM
> SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD

Do you have the kernel development ("kernel-devel") package installed?
That's what VMware needs.

Also, the source is looked for by VMware in /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/source (or build instead of source, since they point to the same
place), which is a link to /usr/src/kernels/`uname -r`.

-- Mark C, Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution