Using autofs to mount user dirs...

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Nov 8 16:16:36 UTC 2007

    We're in the process of separating some of our services off of one
server and onto others.  At the moment we have one server that houses
everything for our users.  I'd like to move everyone's web space onto
our dedicated farm, but leave the user login on the current machine.
And the idea is that I would use netfs to auto mount their webspace
either when they login to their account, or just when they actually need
to access it.

    My problem is that I'm not sure netfs can actually do this without
me having to have each and every user listed in an auto.X file.  User
web folders are in /home/$USER/www and on the remote server they will
live in /mnt/ext/www/$USER

    So how do I configure a netfs map file to do this, if it's even
possible?  All the examples I've seen are for maps where the entire path
is known (and fixed).  Here my $USER is a variable...